Not border security. Not education. Not healthcare. Nope, the #1 bill in the newly Democrat controlled House of Representatives is one that would establish placing elections under centralized federal control: https://pjmedia.com/jchristianadams/h-r-1-democrats-act-to-strip-state-powers-over-elections/
Some of the provisions of HR1, misleadingly named “For The People Act,” include:
- Automatic, mandatory voter registration, using government welfare rolls.
- Same day voter registration.
- Expanded, mandatory early voting.
- Mandatory voting rights for felons.
- Elimination of states’ power to cross-check and purge voter rolls of deceased voters and voters with multiple registrations.
- Mandated, “independent” redistricting commissions
- Federal control over “false information” distributed by political campaigns
- Federal DOJ approval of state election laws, known as “pre-clearance” power.
This last power, that of “pre-clearance,” would consolidate centralized federal control over all elections, not just federal contests. Sixteen states instituted this power in the 1960’s, but it was struck down by the Supreme Court:
“Here’s how it worked: Whenever a state wanted to make an election law change, no matter how small, it needed approval from Washington, D.C. bureaucrats at the Department of Justice. Move a polling place, change the hours the election office is open, hire a new translator, change a precinct line, or move voting from the school gym to the school library? DOJ had to approve.”
Liberal and left-wing activists are characterizing HR1 as a great civil rights and anti-corruption act: https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2019/01/nancy-pelosi-election-reform-bill-save-democracy.html
In reality, it is a huge power grab by those who pretend to be looking out for us…